This poem is inspired by the Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt: “present.” December is full of last-minute shopping, cheesy Christmas movies and awesome ugly sweaters, so it’s no wonder that I have Christmas on the brain.
Gifts wrapped under the tree
Could one of them be for me?
Lights glowing red, green, blue and yellow
Family and friends sit around the fire, mellow
The smell of pine and smoke warm my senses
Better than any store-bought incense
Red wine, relaxing music, a funny story
A social gathering in all its glory
A Christmas present, wrapped in love and joy
A night to treasure and enjoy
If you would like to participate in the Stream of Consciousness Saturday, here are all the rules from Lindaghill’s blog:
1. Your post must be stream of consciousness writing, meaning no editing, (typos can be fixed) and minimal planning on what you’re going to write.
2. Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be. One sentence – one thousand words. Fact, fiction, poetry – it doesn’t matter. Just let the words carry you along until you’re ready to stop.
3. There will be a prompt every week. I will post the prompt here on my blog on Friday, along with a reminder for you to join in. The prompt will be one random thing, but it will not be a subject. For instance, I will not say “Write about dogs”; the prompt will be more like, “Make your first sentence a question,” or “Begin with the word ‘The’.”
4. Ping back! It’s important, so that I and other people can come and read your post! For example, in your post you can write “This post is part of SoCS:” and then copy and paste the URL found in your address bar at the top of this post into yours. Your link will show up in my comments, for everyone to see. The most recent pingbacks will be found at the top.
5. Read at least one other person’s blog who has linked back their post. Even better, read everyone’s! If you’re the first person to link back, you can check back later, or go to the previous week, by following my category, “Stream of Consciousness Saturday,” which you’ll find right below the “Like” button on my post.
6. Copy and paste the rules (if you’d like to) in your post. The more people who join in, the more new bloggers you’ll meet and the bigger your community will get!
7. Have fun!